Sri Pratap Chandra Sarangi
Government of India
Eminent Gandhian activist Prasanna ji has been on an indefinite fast from 10 April 2020. Although it is a part of the continuing satyagraha since 2015, this time he is fasting as we are seeing an unprecedented collapse of the monster economy.
Gram SevaSangh has been promoting ‘Sacred Economy’ focusing on handmade production and with minimum mechanization. This is a solution not just for unemployment or underemployment, but also for the rampant destruction of natural resources and inequality which has reached obscene proportions.
Today, we are witnessing the dismal plight of migrant workers who are on the streets due to stringent measures associated with Covid-19. The central and local administrations have created this humanitarian crisis without full understanding of the impact and with no preparation for these true producers and servants of society. The challenge is to use the might of this skilled and unskilled workforce in their own community within their environs and resource matrix.
May we recall your attention to the fact that Prasanna ji and our group of five senior activists had not just written to, but also had a meeting with you on the demands of ‘Satyagraha for Sacred Economy’ demands on 06.12.2019 at #10, Pandit Pant Marg, Delhi (Attachment-I). You promised to take cognizance of our presentation and look into the issues before holding a further dialogue. After much follow-up from Prasanna ji and his young colleagues, the presentation was merely forwarded to Niti Aayog (Attachement-II), but with no further steps nor a dialogue.
Prasanna ji and all of us are indeed feeling blocked, not just locked on these most important issue of the appropriate economic paradigm which seeks decentralization and democratization of our economy. The present monstrous system has failed to feed, shelter, clothe, and educate more than half of India’s population. The resulting loss of life of farmers, labourers, artisans and all is much higher than even by Covid-19. This has to be realized by our State actors and society.
The elites who are served by the toilers and the activists struggling for their rights, all and sundry must therefore, not just express solidarity with the working class, uprooted today due to the lockdown but uprooted always due to migration and the exploitative capitalists who look down upon the toilers! With whom do the governments at the Centre and the State stand by, is a question that we seek answer to.
We, therefore, support Prasanna ji’s indefinite fast at these vital juncture faced by India and the world, to raise the basic issue and expect the rulers busy with fighting just one virus to take cognizance of the peaceful appeal and hold an immediate dialogue with the Satyagrahis to discuss and evolve a solution through Sacred Economy i.e., Gandhian Economy. May we expect a response?
· Medha Patkar – Social Activist, Narmada Bachao Andolan & NAPM
· H.D. Devegowda – Former Prime Minsiter of India
· Vandana Shiva – Environmental Activist & Navadanya
· H.S. Doreswamy – Freedom fighter & Gandhian
· Ramachandra Guha – Historian.
· M.A. Baby – Ex. Member of Parliament & Activist
· Rajgopal P.V. – Gandhian activist & Ekta Parishat
· Ganesh Devy – Cultural Activist
· Bharat Junjunwala – Author & Thinker
· K V Biju, Swadeshi Andolan, Kerala
· Uzramma – Handloom activist
· Sunil Sahasrabudhey – Vidya Ashram, Sarnath
· Ashish Bhai – Janjagran Shakti Sanghatan, Bihar
· Ashok Chatterjee –Handicrafts Activist
· Sabha Husain – Human Rights activist.
· Anand Masgavkar – NAPM, Gujrat
· Chitra Sahasrabudhey – Lok vidya Jan Andolan, Banaras
· B.R. Patil – Political Activist, Samajavadi Samagam
· Suniti S.R. – Shashvat Vikas Nyas, Maharashtra
· Dr. Sunilam – Kisan Sangharsh Samiti & Samajwadi Samagam & NAPM
· Vimalabhai – Matu Jansanghatan, Uttarkhand
· Leo F Saldhana – Activit, Environmental Support Group
· M. D. Pallavi – Singer, Musician & Actress
· Krishna Kanth – Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti
Copy forwarded to:
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi
- Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers D V Sadananda Gowda
- Niti Aayog
- Chief Minister of Karnataka B S Yediyurappa