A short report of important events of the Satyagraha in 2019
This Satyagraha is happening since Seven years. Seven years ago, a long march was initiated called Banashankari yatra in North Karnataka by weavers in support of their demands for a better livelihood. Later it became a Handmade Satyagraha When GST was imposed on the Hand-making sector. Today, it has taken the form of a Satyagraha for Sacred Economy.
- Sep 2019, Satyagraha started in Bangalore following representations from various corners of Karnataka regarding the need for a public face to the struggles of handmade industry, small scale production facilities, agriculture, etc.
- From Sept 25 to 30th, the Satyagraha was introduced through several cultural events such as, a Khadi Fashion show, from the young, Rendering of Ramayana, a Mushaira, Road collection of funds while spreading awareness about the struggle of ordinary people etc. There was a Labour convention with Vandana Shiva, The environmental activist being present.
- October 1, workshop for the economist and students on Sacred Economy, at St. Joseph College Community Hall, Bengaluru.
- Oct 2nd a relay fast was began. And continued till the 5th.
- October 3, there was a big rally of industrial workers in support of the Satyagraha at Bengaluru
- Oct 6, Shri. Prasanna started an indefinite fast at the Vallabha Niketana, Bengaluru.
- 10th Oct, Shri. Deve Gowda, former PM of India, and Shri. Siddaramaiah, former CM of Karnataka, met Shri. Prasanna and assured him of their support for the demands of the Satyagraha.
- On the same day, Shri. Ashwathanarayana, Deputy CM of Karnataka, met Shri. Prasanna at the site of the Satyagraha and discussed the demands with him.
- Several protest meetings across Karnataka were held in support of the Satyagraha. Many groups fasted in support as well.
- October 11, Shri. Sadananda Gowda, Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers, met Shri. Prasanna to discuss the demands of the Satyagraha. He assured that the central government is ready for discussions on the demands, and that he would use his good offices to arrange a meeting with the MSME and Finance ministries within a month. He also implored Shri. Prasanna to end his fast.
- After seven days of fasting, on the occasion of the Jayaprakash Narain Day, Shri. Prasanna ended his fast.
- Peaceful Satyagraha continued. From Oct 20 to Nov 25 15 District Conventions were held across Karnataka. Several of these meetings received huge response from people who urged that the sacred economy needs an urgent rejuvenation for the survival of livelihoods of poor people.
- On Dec 1 a huge joint convention of Rural and Urban workers and environmentalist was held at Bengaluru. Medha Patkar joined the convention.
Gram Seva Sangh
www.gramsevasangh.org | +91 9980043911 | email@example.com